Under 9 Eagles

Team Photos

Home Kit


Away Kit


Manager: Kev Doherty

Mobile: 07812 244825

Email: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

 Assistant Manager: Mike Jackson

Mobile: 07836 386883

Email: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.  

Leagues Official Website

The team play in the Leicester & District Mutual League – Division 6

League Link


Oadby Owls Tour Ashbourne

A combined group of Oadby Owls U9s and U7s went on a 'tour' to Ashbourne (Derbyshire) for a weekend of camping and football. We arrived on the Friday evening at Ashbourne Heights to camp down, well most of us, following a day of heavy rain. But as we arrived the clouds departed giving way to a weekend of glorious sunshine. The BBQs were fired up, and the boys warmed up with a 3-1 win over the Dads. Special mention should be given to Bruce who rose like a salmon to head home Kev's cross to equalise for the Dads. In the morning the boys went for a swim before heading down to Ashbourne to play the Aztecs.

Ashbourne Aztecs 2 Oadby Owls 7

They say scoring is a habit and so it proved as Oliver D and Harry both continued their scoring streaks with a pair of goals each. All this with a guest managerial team of the mum's. Tracey took the lead role supported by a coaching team of Keren and Lesley "real coach" Darlaston. The ladies sent out a team mainly comprising of Eagles for the first session with the addition of Reece on the left wing. The boys quickly got to work creating some good early chances. Harry broke the deadlock inside four minutes, Myles won the ball in midfield and played a pass to Reece, who in turn laid the ball on for the advancing Harry. Harry hit a powerful low shot first time into the bottom right hand corner. The managerial team were relieved to see the team go ahead and breathing space followed quickly afterwards. Austin came on for Finlay GB, and curled a corner right under the bar, the 'keeper palmed the ball off the line only for Oliver D to head home from close range. Harry was able to convert his ninth goal in four games following great work from Myles. Myles held the ball with his back to goal 15 yards out he picked out Harry coming down the right channel and rolled the ball into his path. Harry hit the ball first time again, this time curling the ball with the outside of his foot into the top corner.

The second period introduced George, Luke, Luca, Myles, Ralph, Matteo & Harry H into the action but the script did not change. A throw-in down the left allowed Matteo to cross for Myles, who cushioned a volley into the back of the net. Oadby were pushing forward now but failed to break the Aztec's resistance, but this was leaving gaps at the back. Ashbourne broke a couple of times requiring Luke to make good saves, but one break too many allowed the Aztecs to grab a goal back.  Oadby responded quickly, Luca delivered a visionary cross-field ball to Harry H on the right. Harry beat his man and then smashed a shot at the Aztecs goal, the 'keeper again saved, but Ewen GB (Brother of Finlay GB) was on hand to finish from close range.

Into the third period and the group from the first quarter were re-installed with some of the youngsters sprinkled into the line-up. Luke was also installed in to the centre of midfield. An early attack saw Myles hit the post, Reece's follow-up was well saved as was Finlay GB's subsequent shot. A goal was coming and within a couple of minutes Harry M was bundled over as he advanced towards the Ashbourne box. Harry dusted himself down and fired a low free-kick into the box, Reece gratefully gobbled up the chance slotting home from a yard out. Luke was now centre of attention, first he fired just wide, then Myles and Oliver D combined to present Luke with a great chance, but he fired over the bar. Harry then worked with Myles, who played a great ball to Luke whose shot was saved and then Oliver D was foiled by the goalkeeper on the rebound.

The fourth an final period allowed the coaching team to put out some of the younger players backed up by some of the more experienced heads. Ashbourne were first to score, again catching the Owls on the break to beat Ralph now installed between the Oadby posts. The Aztecs held onto their lead for a while, until a loose pass was picked up by Oliver D, Oliver continued his rich vein of scoring form by caressing the ball into the top corner. Tracey and her coaching staff had handled a squad of 15 players giving them all a fair time on pitch whilst keeping the games competitive. A great job.


For the remainder of the weekend the team continued to enjoy all that the Peak District had to offer. A team trip to the Bluebell in Tissington allowed us all to have a team meal in the evening. Sunday saw the boys take some bikes up the Tissington Trail followed by a BBQ back at the campsite. The boys took on the Dads at rounders with the score being even we think. The highlight would have been when the author of this report collided with his wife while running to catch her out, causing raucous laughter.

Highlights of the weekend:

10. Lesley's Giraffe Onesie.

9. Kev's speech at the Bluebell followed up by the barman asking him to pay for the drinks he gave out.

8. The weather. Sun Sun Sun.

7. Watching Kev take down his tent.

6. Luca commenting on Tracey's rounders fielding - "This is not even funny".

5. Bruce's header.

4. Being sat on the green in Tissington scoffing old fashioned sweets.

3. Sunday night's BBQ - chilled.

2. The collission on the rounders field.

1. The WAGs showing how easy football management is.

All in all a brilliant way to end the season, next year Barcelona?




Birstall United 2 Oadby Owls Eagles 2 - 21st April 3013 (League)

Having cruised to victory yesterday, a different scenario unfolded at Birstall where they were able to bring in some new faces that swelled the Birstall squad up to twelve players as the game progressed. Oadby had the better of the first half as a more resolute Birstall kept the Owls attacks at bay with a more organised defence and a new goalkeeper. After five minutes Myles opened the scoring when he picked up a wayward goal-kick, drove into the box and finished from a tight angle. Birstall's long ball game was producing a lot of corners which Oadby were dealing with very well. At the other end the Eagles produced some passing football without quite creating a clear-cut chance. By the end of the half the Birstall bench had accumulated some more players who were introduced in the second half.

The second half was an even affair with Oadby continuing to build pressure without getting a clear chance. Birstall were looking to play on the break. One such break forced a corner and a tame shot somehow ended up in the bottom corner of the goal. Finley B and Finlay GB both came close with well struck shots. Harry hit a cracking free-kick but it was tipped around the post by their very accomplished goalkeeper. Then disaster struck as the ball was won by the Birstall number 3 he passed to their number 7 who linked up with their other number 3. The other number 7 was racing in on goal finished well into the bottom corner. Oadby only had 5 minutes to recover their position. They did not panic and continued to play composed football, Harry's teasing cross nearly found Finlay GB and Oliver D had a shot charged down. From the resulting corner Harry's delivery found Oliver D on the penalty spot. He cooly controlled the ball before curling the ball inside the right hand post, a tremendous finish in the circumstances. Thirty seconds later the whistle blew for the end of the match and the end of our season. 

The boys have made great progress this year under the coaching of Kevin and Jacko. I am sure all of the parents will join me in thanking them both for their diligence and attention to detail that has helped each and every player develop this season.

Goals Scorers: Myles Doherty, Oliver Darlaston

Oadby Owls Eagles 14 Birstall United Cubs 1 - 20th April 2013 (league) here

The Owls concluded their home games with the first match of a double header against bottom of the table Birstall. The Owls were very slow to get started and took twelve minutes to get a meaningful attempt on goal. Thereafter, when they started to pass the ball a deluge of goals followed as the Eagles converted 14 goals in seventeen minutes around the halftime interval. There was no hint of what was to follow as the Eagles huffed and puffed without any end product for the first half of the first half with only George at the back and Myles leading the line up front delivering anywhere near their potential.  Myles delivered a couple of crosses for Oliver G who was unable to convert them, but these efforts on goal did steady the Owls confidence and an avalanche of goals followed. I will for the sake of this report document them rather than attempt to make them part of my normal report.

Finlay FG was, almost enivatbly the first to score, he won the ball on the edge of the box and played a simple pass to Finley B. Finley returned the ball with a defence splitting pass and Finaly GB stylishly rounded the 'keeper with some nifty footwork before dribbling the ball into the net. The Owls managed one more before the break, Oliver D opened his season account after battling to win the ball from an Oliver G cross, he found himself eyeball to eyeball with their keeper and pased the ball into the bottom corner.

The start of the second half was a whirlwind, so I will just detail the goals, both Harry and Ralph rattled the post in amongst this lot but here goes.

THREE: Finley B picked the ball up on the left hand wing after good work from Myles, he composed himself before thrashing the ball into the back of the net from just inside the box.

FOUR: This was a good team goal, Myles fed Oliver G who laid a superb ball to the accelerating Harry down the inside right. he thumped the ball into the net under a strong challenge.

FIVE: From the resluting kick off Finley B nicked the ball from their midfielder, he then play a superb through ball to Oliver G who passed the ball calmly into the net between the defender and the goalkeeper.

SIX: Oliver G picked the ball up in midfield and passed the ball to Harry on the right wing, Harry weaved between defenders before finishing low inside the near post.

SEVEN: Harry picked up the ball in midfield and took a long range shot from inside the Bistall half, his shot nestled somewhat tamely into the bottom  corner.

EIGHT: Oliver D won then ball deep in Birstall teritory he played a simple but effective pass to Finley B as he advanced on goal, Finley finished with trademark power inside the far post.

NINE: Finley B pounced after some defensive jitters, before finishing clinically again.

TEN: Oliver D showed some great dexterity on the edge of the Birstall box, he again found Finley B inside the box racing in from his left wing and Finley's finish was decisive.

ELEVEN: Harry picked the ball up at the halfway line he, he dribbled between three Birstall defenders and finished inside the keeper's left hand post.

At this point Oadby took a player off to make the game 6 Vs 7.

TWELVE: Ralph pounced on a wayward goalkeepers clearance, he advanced toward the edge of the Birstall area before finishing with a well struck shot from the edge of the box.

THIRTEEN: Myles drove powerfully down the right wing and fired a low cross through the goal mouth, the keeper parried, but Finley B was on hand to bury the rebound.

FOURTEEN: Good work again from Myles forced a corner, Ralph's delivery found Finley B at the back post and he volleyed home unmarked with his instep to complete his second hat-trick.

At this point the Owls reduced themseleves to 5 players, this produced a more end to end game. Birstall forced Luke into a couple of good saves and they were able to pull a goal back.


Goals Scorers: Finlay Girvan-Bryan, Oliver Daralston, Harry Mansfield (4), Oliver Giffiths, Finley Brooks (6), Ralph McGarry.

Oadby Owls Eagles 0 Harborough Rowdies 1 - 14th April (League)

There are games in football where you can be the better team and still lose, and so it was today. After the arctic conditions when the sides met a month ago, the teams basked in twenty degrees warmer sunshine. However, there was a strong wind blowing across the pitch and slightly down the Combe Park slope and this was to restrict the football played by both teams and create the preverbial game of two halves.

Playing with the wind in the first half the Eagles were slow out of the blocks finding themselves second to every ball. Harborough took full advantage as hesitant defending allowed them clean through the middle to open the scoring after 4 minutes. The goal woke the Eagles up as they camped in the Harborough half creating chance after chance. A quick Myles throw-in found Finlay GB clean in on goal but his usually deadly finishing let him down as he pushed his shot just wide. Next, Harry had a couple of chances: firstly turning his marker inside out before unleasing a vicious shot and then a volley from just outside the box that drifted over the bar.

Oliver G was switched with Ralph and within a minute he was forcing his way down the left wing, his deflected shot forcing a corner. Ralph's corner found the head of Finlay GB whose bullet header went just wide of the post. The best work was now being created at down the Eagle's left with Oliver G's quick throw next finding Myles, he cleverly lobbed the advancing keeper but found the side netting. Harborough were restricted to long punts forward where George, Ralph and Harry kept them comfortably away from Luke's goal. Luke was left to collect wayward through balls, but from these his long throws created further chances for the Eagles. Myles was the first to be put clean through forcing a good save from the goalkeeper. Finlay GB was next to profit from Luke's distribution and again his shot on the Rowdies goal was well saved. Switching the point of attack, the Eagles were now getting joy down their right flank. Finlay GB put Myles in on goal only to find their in-form goalkeeper there to thwart him once more. It was the classic tale of not taking chances, and if you do not take your chances you do not win matches.

Into the second half and the Eagles prepared themselves for what Harborough would throw at them with the wind on their backs. The answer was in the end not a great deal, as they only created three chances in the half. The reason for this was two-fold, firstly at the back Ralph and in particular George were resolute in defence by not allowing the Rowdies to have possession in the Owls half. Secondly as the half wore on, the Rowdies were content to clear the ball out of their half to relieve the pressure on them. The half did open with a heart-stopping scare as a cross turned in the wind into a shot that Luke palmed onto his bar and behind for a corner. The Eagles were finding it difficult to make ground but unlike Harborough in the first half they created as many chances as their wind assisted opponents. Harry's free kick caused Havoc in the area with Myles' scrambled shot being deflected past the post. Then came their best chance to equalise, Oliver G was clean through and beyond the last defenders. He elected to shoot rather than go round the keeper, and his shot, although perfectly struck, whistled inches wide of the right hand post. The Eagles were unable to get their long shots on target so their final chace came from another free-kick. This time Ralph delivered a teasing ball into the box, and Finlay GB was in amongst the sea of legs in the Harborough area. As with Myles' earlier effort his close range flick was kneed off the line. Harborough are clear at the top of the table, but this must have been a real test for them.


Oadby Owls Eagles 3 Kingsway Celtic 0 - 7th April 2013 (league)here

The Eagles got their season back on the right tracks with a solid home victory over Kingsway Celtic. Kingsway started the brightest and put together some early pressure in the Owls half. But the Eagles found their passing stride and began to link up menacingly with some lovely football. Finley B played a ball into the right hand channel with Harry racing in from midfield. Harry flicked the ball right across the goalmouth to a waiting Myles who passed his effort inches wide of the left hand post. The first goal followed shortly after, with Myles picking out Ralph on the edge of the Kingsway box. Ralph's low shot span off the keepers gloves and found it's way to the bottom left hand corner. The Owls dominance was obvious now as the second followed soon after the first. Finley B battled hard to win the ball on the right hand side, and he laid the ball back in to Harry who took a touch before curling a dipping shot between the bar and the keepers finger tips from 15 yards out. The Owls continued to press for a third but it would not come, Oliver G came closest when his effort bound for the top right hand corner was well save by their goalkeeper. Ralph had a close effort well blocked by the keeper and Harry passed the rebound wide of the right hand upright. Oliver D and G were keeping Luke a virtual spectator.

Manager Kevin introduced Finlay GB and George at half time, and his substitution brought dividends within 10 seconds of the re-start. Myles played the ball to Harry, who rode a couple of challenges and bullied his was through another couple of defenders. He released the ball to Finlay GB who smashed the ball into the bottom right hand corner with his second touch of the game. As in the first half, the Eagles came forward for more goals. A Harry corner found Myles whose shot was well saved, Ralph's follow up was cleared of the line and Harry's subsequent follow up went into the side netting. Soon after, a Ralph corner was picked up by Oliver G who cut inside his defender and curled a right foot shot just wide of the top corner. Next came Myles, put clean through on the goal by Finlay GB, but his touch was heavy allowing the keeper to save, but only just. Kingsway did come back into the game as Luke was called in to make three saves from Celtic corners, the second of these was a particularly good stop. The Owls were continuing to create chances too, Oliver D's shot from inside the box was cleared off the line with a couple of minutes to go.  The Eagles ran out comfortable winners in the end.  


Goals Scorers: Ralph McGarry, Harry Mansfield & Finlay Girvan-Bryan

Harborough Rowdies 4 Oadby Owls Eagles 1 - 10th March 2013 (League)

What a difference a week can make. Last week the Eagles were negotiating a bumpy baked Sileby pitch in barmy Spring sunshine, just seven days later the boys were battling away on a snowy, puddle riddled surface in sub-zero temperatures. The weather may have been different but the effort put in by all of the Eagles boys was as good, if not better, in what turned out to be wretched conditions. The Eagles had scratched their side together having been plagued by mid-week illness, with Luke between the posts being one of those making the effort to play. Luke performed valliantly all game, so much so, that he looked like he had been dipped in a chocolate milkshake when the final whistle came.

The Eagles struggled to find their foooting in the first half, as the Rowdies dealt better with the boggy and slippery conditions. The Rowdies got a soft goal from a corner and the worst looked enevitible. But the goal stirred the Eagles into life. Finlay GB delivered a superb cross to Finley B, but he was just unable to get on the end of it. However a minute later the Eagles were level. Harry won the ball in midfield and fed the ball to Myles on the edge of the box. Myles cracked a shot at the Harborough goal that rebounded off their 'keepers chest, Finlay GB was following in and poked the ball into the empty net. Myles' shot had forced the Rowdis keeper off the pitch, such were the conditions, and Myles fell victim to the bitter cold himself a few minutes later. The half played out with honours even thanks mostly to an epic performance by George, he was time again the right man in the right place to snuff out the Harborough attacks. At the other end Oliver G and Finley B both had shots on goal.

Playing into the Easterly wind carrying a blizzard of snow, the boys continued to battle hard. Finley B had the better of the chances but his shots on goal were well saved by the stand-in goalkeeper. In a war of attrition the Rowdies had an early psychological advantage and their confidence carried them through the half. The Eagles were visibly struggling by the end of the match, but just kept going despite Harborough adding some flattery to the scoreline. 

Goals Scorers: Finlay Girvan-Bryan

Sileby Stingrays Blues 1 Oadby Owls Eagles 7 - 3rd March 2013 (League)

David Fairclough, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and in more recent times Edin Dzeko and Javier Hernandez have all performed the "super sub" role but surely their feats are outshone by Finley's five goal haul in the second half of this game. The Eagles recorded their best ever winning margin, Finlay broke the single game sqaud scoring record and there were some crackers in there. All this after the Eagles had gone behind after just four minutes.

The coaches had shuffled the pack with the starting 7 and that decision appeared to have back fired as the Owls were behind early and forced to replace Myles after a clash of heads. Luke was called upon to claw a shot away from his top right hand corner, this was all 'not in the script'? A quick tweak to the formation and normal service was resumed. Harry announced his arrival (on for Myles) with a curling shot onto the outside of the post quickly followed by a cannonball that left the unlucky defender, who'd got in the way, out flat on the ground. Finley B was the next to come close as hit well struck shot was parried into the path of Oliver J. Racing in to take his chance Oliver's shot hit the inside of the post, onto the goalkeeper's back and out to safety. Oliver G was the next to create a chance for Finley B, his insightful through ball gave Finley a one-on-one but he pulled his shot wide of the left hand post. This was all starting to feel like deja-vu. The Owls had missed countless chances in the teams first encounter this season.

It took a great piece of anticipation from Finley B to pull the Eagles back into the game in the 19th minute. Finley took a throw in near the corner flag to Oliver G, Oliver controlled the ball well and fired a shot into the near post. Meanwhile Finley had been accelerating into the box, and as the keeper palmed the ball away, Finley nipped in and lifted the ball over the prone goalkeeper into the net. Collective visible relief from the Eagles parents.

Into the second half, Finlay GB and Ralph are introduced, immediately Oliver G was getting some joy down his right wing. Myles won the ball midway into the Sileby half and spread the ball wide to Oliver who in turn took a touch before caressing a cross to Finlay GB coming in from the left wing. Finlay chested the ball down before lobbing the ball over the out-rushing 'keeper. A delicious finish. The Eagles now lay siege to the Sileby goal, the two Finn's took turns to cross for the other but Finlay GB missed his chance while Finley B toed narrowly wide. It was not all one-way traffic. Sileby were breaking quickly requiring both Oliver D and George to make superb interceptions to prevent the Sileby forwards getting in on Luke's goal.  With only a single goal margin nerves were still frayed.

The pressure was lifted following Myles' long range shot being deflected for an Owls corner. As the ball was half cleared, Myles lifted the ball back into the danger area, no-one could have predicted what happened next. Finlay GB hit the ball first time with an over head kick that looped into the top left hand corner. The Eagles did not have long to wait for their fourth, Harry followed up a clearance outside the Sileby box. Everyone expected him to shoot, but instead he weaved between 4 defenders and then passed the ball beyond the goalkeeper's right hand. If we did not have a long wait for the fourth the fifth was in a serious hurry! From the resulting kick-off Myles stole in to disrupt play and bullied his way to the left hand side of the box. Whilst the it seemed that all of the players had given up on the ball going out for a goal kick Myles stole in again to flick the ball across the goal mouth to a waiting Finlay GB to complete his hat-trick in the simplest of fashion.

Sileby were dejected and the goals just kept coming, Harry won the ball in midfield and played the ball into the box where Finlay GB was lurking. Finlay beat his defender and buried the ball into the bottom corner. The best however was yet to come. Again, good work from Oliver J and Myles forced a corner. Ralph curled a perferct cross onto the head of the advancing Finlay GB. Finlay's header flew like a rocket into the very top left hand corner, prompting the opposing coach to seek Finlay out after the final whistle to congratulate him on a tremendous goal. Jacko found himself having to provide the "first header" prize, but I know he will be happy to after that one. This however, was a terrific team performance with every player playing their part. Well done boys, they now carry their 4 game winning streak to local rivals Harborough next week.


Goals Scorers: Finley Brooks, Finlay Girvan-Bryan (5), Harry Mansfield

Bistall United Foxes 0 Oadby Owls Eagles 1 - 24th February 2013 (Friendly)

The Eagles have had their most successful month in their short history with 3 wins from 3 games, 7 goals and two clean sheets in February 2013. Their opponents today were supposed to be the team struggling at the bottom of the league, but they looked far from it as Birstall applied all the early pressure. The Owls were struggling to get out of their half and barely mustered up a single shot in the first half. Right at the end of the half Oliver G conceded a dangerous free-kick on the edge of the box but the resulting effort was wide of Luke's goal.

At half time things started to fall into place, as the Birstall manager dressed down his team for their poor performance, whereas Kevin and Jacko were wondering why we could not break down a team that had let in over 50 goals so far this season. A quick jump onto the Birstall website and our suspicions were realised these were not the "Cubs" they were the "Foxes" - 4th in Division 2 just behind our Tawnys. A fixture mix-up had Birstall thinking they were playing the Tawnys whilst the Eagles were finding Birstall's first team much harder going than expected.

Into the second half and the Eagles started to look stronger. Finlay B latched onto a Luke kick and fired just wide of the United goal. Better was to come moments later when Harry fed Finley B down the right, Finley crossed low for Myles but Birstall scrambled the ball clear for a corner. Harry's corner was volleyed goalwards by Myles but cleared off the line with the keeper beaten. Harry's subsequent corner was a beauty and Birstall only managed to half clear the ball to a waiting Oliver G. Oliver composed himself just inside the box and then passed the ball into the bottom right hand corner, an ice-cool finish.

At the other end Oliver D and George were working well together against the Foxes forward line who were now set much higher up the pitch. The Eagles abandoned the Liverpool-like build up from the back and started to hit the balls long. Harry was first to benefit as good work again from Finley B gave Harry a shooting chance from the edge of the box which the keeper did well to parry, hurting his hand in the process. Towards the end of the half Harry slid another ball on to Finley B and his powerful shot was deflected off an arm and then pushed away by the 'keeper. Instinctively, Myles was following up and with the open goal at his mercy, but his volley went inches wide of the left hand post. There was just time for Luke to pull off the best save of the day. Having inexplicably thumped his goal kick off the back of George's head a Birstall forward was clean through on goal, his calm finish appeared to have levelled it but Luke flicked the ball away from his bottom right hand corner. The Birstall goalkeeper was forced to retire hurt, and Jacko enjoyed a cameo up front for the last five minutes. The Eagles had inadvertently beaten the team lying 12th in the combined Leicestershire Leagues, and they had not even realised it! The Eagles will now need to re-arrange to play the Cubs in the true Division 6 fixture.

 Goals Scorers: Oliver Griffiths

Oadby Owls Eagles 3 Narborough Foxes Reds 0 - 10th February 2013 (League)

The Eagles faced the Foxes at home, a week after the two teams had competed in a closely fought contest in Narborough. As in their first encounter, the Eagles took the lead mid-way through the first half. Contrary to the accomplished passing display the Owls were putting on, it was to be a somewhat scrappy goal that saw them break the deadlock. As the ball pinballed around inside the Foxes box, Finlay GB showed a cool head to navigate around a defender and then calmly slot the ball under the advancing 'keeper. The Owls were playing out of their skins, linking together like Barcelona on a pitch that resembled a farmers field. A second goal was coming, and it was to be Oliver Griffiths who provided the breathing space the Owls deserved. He controlled Harry's corner with an instant touch and then guided the ball into the net through the packed box.

Into the second half, and the Owls were playing up the slope and into the driving rain. The Foxes were making use of the conditions making the game a more even affair. As good as the Owls were at playing the beautiful game, they were equally able to roll-up their sleeves and battle to retain their lead. Chances were still being created by the Owls, but some good goalkeeping kept the Owls down to a two goal advantage. At the other end Luke was determined to keep the ball out of his goal. Perfect positioning allowed him to swallow up attempts on goal, coupled with a commitment to dive at players feet to fully command his area. When he was called upon to pull a great save out, he was there to tip the ball wide of his posts. This week it was the Owls turn to add to the scores with almost the last kick of the game. Finley B surged down the right wing and fired a low cross into the penalty box, Myles was in the right place at the right time to cushion a volley with his instep into the bottom right hand corner.

Goals Scorers: Finlay Girvan-Bryan, Oliver Griffiths & Myles Doherty

Narborough Foxes 1 Oadby Owls Eagles 3- 3rd February 2013 (League)

The Eagles defrosted from the imposed wintery break with an emphatic win over a well organised Narborough Foxes side. The Foxes demonstrated how dangerous they would be by carving out two good chances within the opening seconds of the game. The Eagles needed to wake up and find their stride. Oadby improved and got their foothold into the game, Finley B worked down the Owls's right and found a through ball to Myles who's shot was well saved down to the keepers left. But the Eagles were not having it all their own way, a scramble in the box saw Harry tackle their forward on the Owl's goal line and then clear off the line again as his clearance was sent back goalwards. That was close!

Oliver J was doing some great work down the Oadby left while Harry and George were putting in some crunching challenges. It was from another hard tackle that Oadby opened the scoring. Harry won the ball in midfield and sent a ball down the middle where Myles was sprinting goalwards. As he attempted to round the 'keeper he was at first forced away from the goal, but displaying trademark tenacity he recovered his composure to slot home from a tight angle. One up and confidence up. As the half wore on Oadby were getting the lion share of the possession and continued to threaten down the wings with Finley B and Oliver J. However Narborough created more shots at the Oadby goal with their best effort cannoning off Luke's bar just before half time.

From the opening kick-off Myles exchanged passes with oncoming substitute Ralph, resulting in Myles shot drifting just wide of the post. Harry, Oliver G and Finlay GB were all enjoying a lot of space in the midfield areas as Narborough started to play longer balls from the back to a higher forward line. Harry intercepted one such wayward pass and strode forward to half way into the Foxes half. His speculative shot caught a deflection pushing it inside the left hand post and leaving the goalkeeper stranded. We did not have too long to wait for the third. This time it was Finlay GB marauding down the Owls left, having rode a couple of challenges the slotted a pass through to Finley B. Finlay bore down on the Foxes goal only to be denied at almost point blank, but the ball ricocheted to Ralph who accepted his opportunity with a blast into the open net. There was just time for Finley B to bulldoze his way through the heart of the Foxes defence only to be denied again from close range by the goalkeeper. Sadly for Luke his clean sheet was not to be, as the Foxes scored with the last kick off the game with a cushioned volley.

Goals Scorers: Myles Doherty, Harry Mansfield, Ralph McGarry

Kirby Muxloe '88 5 Oadby Owls Eagles 0 - 13th January 2013 (League)

Two years ago when the Eagles visited Kirby they were on the wrong end of a one sided game where they failed to make the goalkeeper make a save, and sadly history repeated itself in the Eagles first game of 2013. Kirby were bolstered by a different squad of players to those the Eagles faced in September when the Eagles were equal to Kirby in all departments. Kirby also deployed a 1-4-1 formation designed to stop Oadby passing the ball up field.  This proved effective for the first ten minutes as Oadby struggled to get out of their half. Kirby opened the score in unusual fashion. A Kirby player went to the ground rolling in agony, everybody on the pitch stopped apart from one player who curled the ball into the goal from the sideline. The "playing to the whistle" lesson was never more vividly learned.

The goal woke Oadby from their slumber, and as they played longer balls over, around and through Kirby's midfield 4, Finlay GB and Finley B started to get joy against the single defender. First Finley B was put clean through on goal by Oliver G but he failed to hit the target. The same was true moments later when the games best passing move saw Oliver G find Finley B near the centre circle. Finley's dissecting pass took the defender out of play leaving Finlay GB bearing down on goal, but he pulled his shot wide missing his best opportunity to get a goal against his former team. Kirby were now limited to long range shots as the Eagles midfield started to get their tackles to count allowing George and Harry to pick up the bits and pieces that made it through to them.

This teritorial shift allowed Harry to push forward and he was unlucky not to score twice just before half time. First he latched onto a cleared corner but miss-hit his shot wide of the target. Then, just before the break he tackled the Kirby winger on the halfway line before weaving between 4 Kirby defenders on his way into the Kirby box. However, a last minute lunge just put him off enough to see him push his shot wide of the right hand post. Oadby had finished the half the stronger team and now needed to step up one more gear in the second half.

Somehow, in the very first five minutes of the second half, the Eagles just lost that midfield bite that was so eveident in the final ten minutes of the first half. Kirby's brand of dribbling through on goal paid dividends as they were presented with three occassions when they completely outnumbered the Owls defence. Four-Nil and the game was over. Although Oadby largely kept Kirby at bay for the rest of the half this was largely due to a great shift of work put in by Luke between the sticks. At the other end the Kirby goalkeeper did not see Oadby enter his penalty area, it was 2011 all over again. The Eagles will pick themselves up again, this will be chalked down as the game every team has in a season when they did not perform to their undoubted potential.



Highfield Rangers 1 Oadby Owls 1 - 16th December 2012 (League)

The Eagles demonstrated how much progress they have made despite only picking up a point in the final game of 2012. This was the Highfields team that had ripped through Oadby on the opening day of the season, but the tables were well and truly turned as Oadby dominated from start to finish. The goals came towards the end of the first half.  Oadby scored first, Finlay G-B picked a loose ball in the Rangers defence and with the keeper out of position he finished decisively to give the Eagles a deserved lead. However the Ranger's response was quick and with a minute, a rare lapse in defense allowed Highfield's to get a goal back.

In the second half the Owls piled on the pressure with a succession of chances, but they failed to convert them. Myles Oliver G and Finley B all had good chances but were kept out by the Rangers Keeper. The Eagles stuck to their passing game despite to grassy conditions, whilst at the back George and Harry kept Rangers at bay. The Eagles can be very proud of how they have performed in this game, assistant manager Jacko was very proud of the boys football. The signs are positive for 2013.

Goals Scorers: Finlay G-B

Oadby Owls Under 9's visit Sheffield Wednesday - 24th November 2012


As you know the Owls were formed by a group of Sheffield Wednesday supporters visiting Leicester on a works project. Following a chance encounter on summer holiday, the Eagles coach Kevin Doherty contacted Sheffield Wednesday to see if they would host the Under 9's on the day of Leicester City's visit to Hillsborough. Wednesday had not heard the story, but once they read the history on our website they welcomed us with open arms. The under 9's took 15 children to Hillsborough with the core of the Eagles being joined by players from the Snowys and Tawnys.

So, a little bleary eyed, a 50 strong contingent of Owls, parents and coaches jumped onto a coach up the M1 to Sheffield. Arriving at 10am we were all given a tour of the ground by our host Matt (originally a Leicester lad). The boys got to see the changing rooms; press room; dug-outs; tunnel and the Hillborough memorial. The boys were then taken to the Sheffield Wednesday Training ground.


At the training ground the boys were put through their paces by Matt before playing 6 games against some local teams. A quick change, and the boys were back at the stadium for a bite to eat and a team photo on the pitch. Before the match most of the boys had their faces painted blue and white in readiness to watch the Foxes play the Owls. Despite being in the main stand and in amongst the Wednesday supporters and the boys they'd played against earlier in the day, boys gave a vocal support to the Foxes throughout the game.

At half time the boys were announced to the crowd and paraded around the outside of the pitch to the mutual appreciation of Wednesday and City supporters alike. As an added bonus the boys got to meet Sheffield Wednesday legend David Hirst and Sky Sports presenter (and former England international) John Salako.

Reinstated into the stands for the second half, the boys enjoyed seeing Leicester cruise to a 2-0 victory before returning home in the Yorkshire rain. All the boys had a terrific day out and a big thank you has to go out to Kevin for organising the whole day, and to Matt our excellent host.

Oadby Owls Eagles 2 Sileby Stingrays Blues 0 - November 18th 2012 (League)

The Eagles got their season back on track with a dominant home performance in the mud of Coombe Park. The writing was on the wall from the first minute with Finlay GB surging down the right for Oliver G to smack his cross over the Sileby bar. A minute later and the roles were reversed as Finlay GB blazed over after good work from Oliver G. Oliver G had a succession of chances as the owls carved open Sileby's static defence and earned a series of corners. Eventually, all the pressure and deluge of shots on the Blues goal saw the Owls get the breakthrough deserved. It came from one of the Owls better passing moves of the half, to be fair there were so many to choose from you will have to make do with my edited highlights. Harry dispossessed the Sileby winger and played an intelligent ball to Oliver G. Oliver burst down the inside left and then released Finlay GB, coming off the opposite wing,  in on goal. Two Sileby defenders caught up with Finlay but he rounded the first and then stabbed his shot through the legs of the second and under the keeper into the net. Collective sigh of relief from the Eagles supporters.

The nerves were now settled on the pitch too, as the Eagles confidence grew and the imposed their ascendancy on the half. Another great chance soon followed. From a cleared corner Harry took a pass from Ralph and played a defence splitting pass to Finlay GB. Finlay's shot was blocked and Myles reacted first to the loose ball. He turned the ball back across the goal line where a despairing Finlay GB was agonisingly close to doubling his tally. It was about now (12 minues into the half) that Luke got his first touch!

Myles was next to threaten the Sileby goal, again following up a Finlay GB shot he fired just wide of the left hand post. The Eagles piled forward with ball barely leaving their half as chance after chance was sent wide of the post. I have received a text from Manager Kev Doherty, and yes boys you will be practising finishing on Wednesday night! This was a siege but the ball just did not find the target as the half drew to a close.

Shuffling the team and half-time and brining on all three subs the Managers were hoping for more of the same. Once again there are a number of chances to describe in this half, but too many to note in this report. The 'Olivers' had most of the chances. Oliver D had four shots drift wide of the post and Oliver J shot over the bar twice, while Oliver G continued to press forward missing two shots, but creating so much in the middle of the park. The best move of the half came where Harry, now at left back, guided the ball across the field to Finley B, Finley beat a player and lashed a shot goalwards, the shot was blocked but Oliver J raced in from the opposite wing and thundered the ball inches over the top left hand corner. As time wore on, nerves started to jangles, could Sileby equalise? Luke did not have a save to make all game.

Fittingly it was another flowing passing move right on the final whistle that tied up all three points for the Eagles. Finley Brooks won the ball in midfield and played the ball to Oliver D. Oliver D sprinted down the right wing and crossed to a waiting Finlay GB and Myles. The ball came straight to Finlay and he passed the ball into the bottom left inside that troublesome left-hand post.


Goals Scorers: Finlay Girvan-Bryan (2)

Lutterworth Athletic Tornado V Oadby Owls Eagles - 14th October 2012 (Friendly)

Playing opposition three divisions above them proved to be a great experience for the Eagles and they equitted themselves well with an industrious performance in the autumnal sunshine. The first period finished goal-less, Oliver G and Harry put in a great shift at the back keeping the Lutterworth advances at bay. Luke was called upon to make four excellent top-drawer saves. The best Eagles chance came when Myles picked the ball up in the centre circle and pushed the ball out to Finlay G on the right. Finlay surged down the right wing and planted a cross onto Oliver J's foot 4 yards out, but Olllie's finish squirmed wide of the left hand post.

Into the second period and a Lutterworth long shot midway through the half gave them the lead they marginally deserved. Within two minutes back came the Eagles. Luke's long clearence bounced dangerously in midfield, Finley B was first to react and nodded the ball over the static Athletic defence before nudging the ball past the advancing keeper to level the scores. Oliver J, Oliver D and Ralph were battling hard in midfield keeping the match to an even affair. Just before the end of the period the boys collectively switched off and allowed two soft goals.

The third period saw more battling from the Eagles and more attacking adventure with Oliver G and Harry pushed up into midfield. Myles again was the linking player, as he nodded on to find Finley B storming forward once again. Finley dropped his shoulder past the last defender and drove the ball low into the left hand corner of the net for his second of the day. As the boys tired towards the end of the game Lutterworth were able to add some punctuation to the scoreline from long range.

This was a perfect friendly against a good team, but the Eagles were able to rotate the sqaud to give everyone a run-out, and an opportunity for everyone to try out less favoured positions. Playing this well in division 6 should provide dividends for the boys.

Goals Scorers: Finley Brooks (2)

Kingsway Celtic 4 Oadby Owls Eagles 3 - 7th October (League)

The Eagles were very unlucky to suffer a narrow defeat and a tightly fought contest bathed in autumnal sunshine. Kingsway switched the match ball just before the start of the game to what can only be described as a yellow cannonball. Had they soaked this ball in vinegar and baked in the oven before kick-off? Every kick was met with the echoey thud of an Elizabethan pig's bladder. The Eagles struggled to get to grips with this unusual ball and it was Kingway who forced Luke into a couple of early saves. The Eagles applied themsleves back into the game forcing a couple of corners from which George was unlucky to see his well struck shots whistle wide and over respectively. Then, from out of nothing the Celtic striker, on his way to a hat-trick, sent the ball into the bottom left hand corner from 20 yards out. By now the Eagles had a grip on the game. Oliver G, Ralph, Finley and Harry all had a series of shots at goal but they could not find the contact to beat the 'keeper. With the the half drawing to a close Harry picked up a loose ball down the Oadby right. He weaved between two defenders and slotted a simple ball into the path of Ralph. Ralph made no mistake with his measured finish inside the near post and the teams were level going in to the break.

The second half was as frenetic a start to a half as you will see. Within two minutes Kingsway were ahead again with a carbon copy of their first goal, same player same corner. The Eagles reaction was immediate. A Myles throw in from the right found Oliver G and his first time shot beat the 'keeper low to his right. Ninety seconds later and another Myles throw-in found Finley B and his accomplished finished nestled the ball into the bottom left. From level, to behind, to ahead insde five minutes. Kingsway's more direct style of football suited the conditions and the ball as they vacated the midfield for a 3-0-3 formation, opting to send the ball from one of the pitch to other. Sadly for Oadby two defensive mistakes led to two Kingsway goals. Celtic saw out the remainder of the game with a 4-0-2 which the Eagles were unable to breach.

The boys tackling and passing was the mark of today's game. Oliver J put in a beauty on the left hand side while Harry's full length sprint down the field chasing back to tackle and deny their forward a fourth goal on the day, were particluar highlights. The boys looked to pass the ball and linked up play from defence to attack time after time. This passing style will bear fruits as the season goes on.



Goals Scorers: Ralph Mcgarry, Oliver Griffiths, Finley Brooks

Mountsorrel Lions 0 Oadby Owls Eagles 5 - 30th September 2012 (Friendly)

The friendly was conducted as three periods of 20 minutes, this allowed the Eagles to rotate the squad into different positions. The opening exchanges were evenly matched as the Eagles were slow to get into their rhythm. As time wore on the Eagles started to exert more pressure as the midfield began to win their individual duals and set off captain Oliver Griffiths into to Mountsorrel defence. A corner from the Oadby right brought the break-through, Oliver G picked up the ball as it was cleared back to him. His curling effort skimmed off the underside of the bar on it's way into the back of the net. He did not have long to wait before his second goal as, starting in his own half, he skipped past two defenders and bore down on goal. His first effort was well saved but he followed up the rebound with greater authority and crashed it into the net. The period ended with the best move of the game so far. Myles Oliver G and Finley B linked passes well with Oliver's centre from the left met on the full by Finley, but the 'keeper tipped his shot over the bar and the whistle sounded.

The second period introduced Harry, Ralph and Finlay GB the latter of whom opened the scoring inside 20 seconds. As the Owls pressed into the Mountsorrel box Finlay pick the ball up on the left ghosting past two defenders before smuggling the ball inside the keeper's near post from close range. Oliver D and Oliver J were battling really well in midfield whilst Finlay GB worked forcefully down the Oadby right. Despite dominating the possession and passing much better as a team the Owls did not manage to trouble the scorer in this period. Mountsorrel also had their best chances of the game but Luke was not going to be beaten today.


In the third period Finlay G and Harry were slotted into defence with Finley B and then Myles upfront. George and Ralph patrolled the midfield with 'the Olivers' rotating in. Luke was a spectator for the third period and Mountsorrel struggled to get into the Oadby penalty area as Harry and Finlay GB punished their attacks. Harry's sliding tackle come through ball set Myles off at goal, with only the keeper to beat but he could not find the net. Seconds later he was presented with another go, this time Oliver G was the supplier from the left, and this time Myles made no mistake with his finish. The strong midfield platform allowed Oliver and Myles to break at the Mountsorrel goal. Oliver G was through one on one with the keeper twice but he was unable to find the finish that would have completed his hat-trick. Instead he turned provider once more and his left wing cross found George coming in from the opposite wing to finish decisive into the bottom left hand corner. 

Five goals and a clean sheet, left broad smiles on the Mangers, Kevin and Jacko's ,faces, they can be proud of the effort the boys put in today, we now need to transform this form into the league games.


Player of the Day: Oliver Griffiths

Goals Scorers: Oliver Griffiths (2), Finlay Girvan-Bryan, Myles Doherty, George Mcdonald

Oadby Owls Eagles 1 Kirby Muxlo '88 1 - 16th September 2012 (League)

Kirby Muxloe bounced into Coombe park buoyant after their opening week 10-0 win had propelled them to the top of the league. The Eagles needed to find their feet after suffering a heavy home defeat. After soaking up some predicitble early pressure, Finley steadied Eagle's nerves with a cracking goal from outside the box. Latching onto a loose ball, he drifted past two defenders before smashing the ball into the top left hand corner over the stranded Kirby 'keeper.

Back came Kirby forcing Luke into two excellent saves. However the Owls kept their visitors at arms length with some tenacious tackling by the entire team. As half time approached a long Luke clearance bounced over the Kirby defence and Finley was quickest to the ball. He poked the ball past the keeper, but also the left hand post.

Into the second half, and Finley was once again at the heart of the Oadby attacks, his left wing surge and subsequent defence splitting pass found Oliver D steaming down the middle. Oliver was crowded out, but Myles picked up the ball firing wide from just inside the box. Kirby's pressure eventually told and a goal came midway through the half. A second away goal looked on the cards when two Kirby forwards broke through shortly afterwards. Luke saved the first shot but as the ball trundled towards their other attacker for an easy tap in, back came Finley from nowhere to hook the ball off his toe with a game saving tackle. The Owls saw out the draw, but this was an excellent performance by everyone, demonstrating heart and battling qualities against a very accomplished opponent.


Player of the Day: Finley Brooks

Goals Scorers: Finley Brooks

Oadby Owls Eagles 1 Highfield Rangers 5 - 9th September (league)

The Eagles were handed a tough first fixture of the season against the excellent Highfield Ranger side. Despite only having 7 players Highfield were comfortably the best team the Eagles have faced in all competitions to date. Luke was, and had to be in fine form, to pull off a string excellent saves to keep the scores respectable. Oliver D and Finlay G battled hard at the back despite being outnumbered time and time again. Finley B and Harry chased back to help out as Highfield's midfield pushed on to the Eagles defence. The Eagles best chances fell to Oliver G who dribbled through the Highfield defence three times, but was kept out by an accomplished Highfield goalkeeper.  

Shortly after Highfield had extended their lead to 3-0, immediately into the second half, the Eagles crafted the sort of goal they are capable of, even against opposition of this calibre. Oliver D found Oliver J down the left wing, who in turn found Oliver G. Oliver exchanged passes with Myles who found Finley B. Finlay played a great through ball into the advancing Oliver G. Oliver smashed the ball into the right hand corner and the Eagles were potentially back into it. However, Rangers continued to romp forward time after time with only a superb Luke and stoic defending from Oliver D and Finlay GB halting the inevitable additional goals.

Player of the Day: Oliver Darleston

Goals Scorers: Oliver Griffiths

Team Notices

Leicester & District Mutual Football League







 09/09/2012  12:30  Highfield Rangers  Home  L 1-5
 16/09/2012  12:30  Kurby Muxloe '88  Home  D 1-1
 07/10/2012  13:00  Kingsway Celtic  Away  L 4-3
 10/02/2013  10:30  Narborough Foxes Reds  Home W 3-0
   12:30  Harborough Rowdies  Away  P - P
 18/11/2012  12:30  Sileby Stingray Blues  Home  W 2-0
   11:30  Birstall United Cubs  Away  P - P
 16/12/2012  10:30  Highfield Rangers  Away  D 1-1
 13/01/2013  10:30  Kurby Muxloe '88  Away  L 5-0
   12:30  Kingsway Celtic  Home  P - P
 03/02/2013  10:30  Narborough Foxes Reds  Away  W 1-3
 03/03/2013  11:30  Sileby Stingray Blues  Away  W 1-7
 10/03/2013  12:30  Harborough Rowdies  Away  L 4-1
 07/04/2013  10:30  Kingsway Celtic  Home  W 3-0
 14/04/2013  11:30  Harborough Rowdies  Home  L 0-1
 20/04/2013  13:00  Birstall United Cubs  Home  W 14-1
 21/04/2013  10:30  Birstall United Cubs  Away  D 2-2
  30/09/2012  13:00   Mountsorrel Lions  Away  W 0-5
 14/10/2012  12:30   Lutterworth Athletic Tornado  Away  L 6-2
 24/02/2013  11:30   Birstall Unites Foxes  Away  W 0-1