Under 8 Hawks

Team Photos

Home Kit


Away Kit



Manager: Gavin Mason

Mobile: 07952 583070

Email: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.  

Assistant Manager: Mark Bell

Mobile: 07836 529568

Email: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.  

Leagues Official Website

The team play in the Leicester & District Mutual League – Non competitive group

League Link


Oadby Owls Hawks v Market Bosworth - 4th March 2012 (Group game)

Kick off at 11:30 on a miserable wet Sunday. With Aaron as captain the whistle went and Market Bosworth came out with a strong forceful attack. Aryton saved their first shot with his face. With great defending from Aaron and George Market Bosworth we kept from scoring. With Max up front having his first shot saved by their keeper we were all hoping for a better result and on our first encounter with them. Unfortunately Bosworth broke through to score, Oadby came out strong and with the defence making good passes to Louis in midfield things looked better. However again Bosworth managed to break through again to score their second goal. Ralf and Milan were working good together and earned a number of corners but Oadby were just unable to finish them off. All the boys looked washed out in the terrible rain but kept on fighting, but Bosworth came back with a number of attacks hitting the cross bar and the posts until there got their third goal, which is where it stayed until half time.

After a very quick interval our boys were back and at them attacking Bosworth’s goal wining another corner. Ralf made a low drive in front of their goal which Louis got his boot to and Oadby were back in the game. With Henry battling hard making fantastic runs things were turning around for us, with Marco’s fancy foot work we kept them under pressure. Aryton made a fantastic save with freezing hands to pluck the ball from the air to keep us in the game. Then from more pressure the ball was cleared from Bosworth’s goal and was met by the boot of Ralf from just inside their half. The ball sailed over their keepers head cracking the cross bar and in 3 2. The boys felt that the game could be theirs now but this was more or less the last kick of the game with the whistle blowing after the restart it remained a 3-2 loss the same as our away game with them.

The boys battle through horrible weather and a special mention for out keeper Aryton who must have been frozen standing there but got stuck in and was there when needed.

Player of the Day: George

Goals Scorers: Louis and Ralf

Stoke Golding v Oadby Owls Hawks – 22nd January 2012 (Group game)

A full Hawks squad was available to face Stoke Golding on a bright but windy morning.

Early pressure from the Hawks forced a series of corners by Ralf McGarry but the Stoke defence held firm. The Hawks continued to press with Milan Tailor showing good skill to bring the ball out of defence and set up an attack. Meanwhile, Max Freer was quick to block a break by Stoke. A free kick on the edge of the Stoke area saw Ralf McGarry’s shot deflected just over. The resulting corner was well caught by the Stoke goal keeper.

After two substitutions, the Hawks opened the scoring with Ralf McGarry firing home into the top right corner. This boosted the away team’s passing game with Billy Ridley on the left wing feeding the ball to Aaron Mason who put in Ralf McGarry. However, the goal keeper was able to save his low shot. Ralf McGarry had better luck a few minutes later when his fierce strike made it 2 – 0.

The Hawks continued to see a lot of the ball but the Stoke goal keeper was equal to George MacDonald’s shot. Moments later Billy Ridley’s throw-in on the left put in George MacDonald but again the Stoke goal keeper was equal to his shot.

In defence, Henry Bower and Ralf McGarry were called into action as Stoke threatened on the break. Ayrton Patel in goal was also alert to make a save from a Stoke attack.

Another midfield passing move led to the Hawks’ third goal as Billy Ridley linked up again with Aaron Mason who fed George MacDonald to fire home a great shot into the top right corner.

The second half saw Henry Bower start on the left wing and he was soon causing problems for the Stoke defence, crossing just out of Max Freer’s reach. Stoke responded by forcing a corner, which Ayrton Patel blocked at the near post.

The Hawks continued to pass the ball well, with a fine move started by George MacDonald to Max Freer on the right, then to Marko Sousa who fed Louis Bell to shoot just wide of the left hand upright. Max Freer then combined well with Henry Bower who rounded the goal keeper but was unlucky to see his shot cleared off the line. Finally, the pressure told with Marko Sousa stabbing the forth goal home from close range after a mêlée in front of goal.

Stoke refused to flag and Aaron Mason was sharp to make two great tackles in defence. George MacDonald, who had taken over in goal from Ayreton Patel was quick to mop up any danger.

The Hawks’ fifth goal came from a good run by Henry Bower down the left. His low shot was stopped by the goal keeper but Max Freer pounced to put away the loose ball. The Hawks continued to attack right up to the full time whistle with a series of fierce shots by Milan Tailor saved by the Stoke goal keeper.

Player of the Day: Marko Sousa

Goal Scorers: Ralf McGarry (2), George MacDonald, Marko Sousa and Max Freer

Oadby Owls Hawks v Westfield Wanderers – 8th January 2012 (Group game)

Marko Sousa was unavailable for the Hawks as they hosted Westfield Wanderers on a mild winter morning at Coombe Park. The Hawks had the best of the early possession with Henry Bower making a series of runs into the opposition half. Shots from Henry Bower and Louis Bell tested the Wanderers’ goal keeper whilst George McDonald in defence was quick to stop a break. The Hawks then quickly went up field themselves and Max Freer shot home to open the scoring.

The Wanderers’ goal keeper was soon in action again, pulling off a fine save from Max Freer. The Hawks had better luck moments later as Milan Tailor got on the end of Ralf McGarry’s corner to touch the ball in. Henry Bower quickly added to the score sheet, volleying the ball into the net, again from a great corner by Ralf McGarry.

After the break Aaron Mason scored twice in short order, shooting home from in front of goal and then after beating the goal keeper to a through ball. The Hawks continued to convert chances. Aaron Mason couldn’t quite get on the end of Billy Ridley’s pass across goal, however the ball broke to Billy who found the back of the net. Milan Tailor then scored two quick goals, the second after a ball from Ayrton Patel had caused problems for the Wanderers’ defence. Ralf McGarry soon added another, stabbing the ball home from close range.

The Wanderers pressed forward with an attack of their own. George McDonald had taken over in goal for the second half from Ayrton Patel and he saved well from the Wanderers’ no. 10. The final move of the game saw Ralf McGarry’s free-kick cause problems with Max Freer able to eventually tuck the ball home to cap a great start to 2012 for the Hawks.

Player of the Day: Ralf McGarry

Goal Scorers: Henry Bower, Ralf McGarry, Max Freer (2), Milan Tailor (3) and Aaron Mason (2)

Lutterworth Town v Oadby Owls Hawks - 4th December 2011 (Group game)

The Hawks travelled to Lutterworth Town with a full squad except George McDonald in what turned out be their last fixture of 2011. The Hawks spent the opening minutes in the opposition half with Aaron Mason and Billy Ridley exchanging passes on the edge of the area and forcing a corner. Ralf McGarry’s cross found Billy Ridley but the Lutterworth defence blocked his shot.

It was then Lutterworth’s turn to threaten and Milan Tailor and Marko Sousa broke up a series of attacks. The Hawks responded by winning a corner at the other end. Another fine cross from Ralph McGarry resulted in a fierce Marko Sousa shot but again Lutterworth bravely blocked it to safety.

The Hawks continued to search for their opening goal. Billy Ridley’s shot from edge of the Lutterworth area was well saved by the goal keeper. Henry Bower then won back the ball in defence to set up another attack. Ralf McGarry’s long-range shot looped just wide of the right post. At the back Louis Bell was composed as the Hawks dealt with a series of breaks by Lutterworth. The final few minutes of the half saw Ralf McGarry twice go close with a shot saved by the goal keeper and another blocked by the defence.

The second half saw a change in positions for the Hawks and Louis Bell soon made a great run down the left wing. Louis Bell’s cross found Milan Tailor but the goal keeper was equal to his shot. Marko Sousa then took the ball down the right wing forcing a throw. Lutterworth cleared the danger and Aaron Mason was alert to make the tackle in defence. The next Hawks’ attack saw Milan Tailor’s shot blocked for a corner. Ralf McGarry’s cross went right across the face of the goal but no Hawk could get the final touch to open the scoring.

Lutterworth then went on the attack and Ayrton Patel was called into action to save at his right post. Two quick corners followed but Aryton Patel and the Hawks’ defence held firm. A great passing move set up the next attack by the Hawks as the ball went from Aaron Mason to Louis Bell and Max Freer but no-one could quite get on the end of Max Freer’s fine cross. Marko Sousa then won a corner, which Billy Ridley crossed in to see Lutterworth head it away at the near post.

Lutterworth applied late pressure but could not break the deadlock as Aaron Mason battled well and Billy Ridley cleared the final Lutterworth corner to safety with the last kick of the game.

Player of the Day: Louis Bell

Goal Scorers: N/A

Market Bosworth v Oadby Owls Hawks – 27th November 2011 (Group game)

On a windy day in the east of the County the Hawks lined up against a formidable foe, in the Battle of Bosworth. Still licking their wounds after their route last time out, the Hawks were pleased to win the toss and claim the high ground, but it was Bosworth who were soon on the charge, testing the Hawks defensive line and forcing keeper Ayreton Patel to shield his goal on a number of occasions.

Having survived the early pressure the Hawks slowly started to impose themselves on the contest, but there was no real thrust to their play and Bosworth easily parried their efforts before launching their own raids. So it was no surprise when after 8 minutes the home side took the lead with a move that sliced right through the heart of the Hawks defence and concluded with a simple tap in, despite a last gasp sliding effort from Louis Bell.

Having smelt blood, Bosworth came after the Hawks again and again, only to be repelled by brave tackling from Milan Tailor, Ralph McGarry and Aaron Mason. In midfield Marko Sousa assumed command in the centre, whilst Louis Bell made sniping runs down the left flank but for all their efforts they could not break through and up front Max Freer up was left without a supply of ammunition.

On the right of midfield George MacDonald was like a berserker, taking on all-comers, and usually winning, but there was nothing he could do to stop the attack that led to Bosworth’s second goal, an arrow of a shot being unleashed at the end of a flowing move that gave Ayreton Patel no chance as it pierced the net.

With morale low at half-time, head coach Gavin Mason had to rally the troops and as the second period got under way, Billy Ridley, fresh back from injury, led by example with some strong tackling. A tactical change saw Henry Bower pushed up front, with Max Freer taking over at right back as the Hawks began to show their metal but it was not long into the second period before Bosworth blasted their third goal and what appeared to be the killer blow.

It was tough on the Hawks but they weren’t for waving the white flag and when Ralph McGarry hit a cannon ball of a free kick in to the top corner of the Bosworth goal, panic began to spread amongst the home team ranks and it seemed that the day was not yet lost. Suddenly Marko Sousa was creating chances and Milan Tailor and Aaron Mason were pushing forwards menacingly. The tireless George MacDonald was still winning his own personal battles and Henry Bower was starting to run rings around the home defence.

Then came Ralph McGarry’s second goal, another well struck effort that the Bosworth keeper couldn’t hold, and the game was on. All at once it was a free for all, as attacks were launched and repelled at either end. Billy Ridley was felled and carried from the field (he will live to fight another day) and Ayreton Patel made a number of superb saves as the Hawks broke ranks in search of a third goal. At one point Gav Mason was heard to cry out, “A hat-trick, a hat-trick! My kingdom for a hat-trick!” But it was to no avail, the crown had slipped from his grasp!

Player of the Day: Ayreton Patel

Goals Scorers: Ralf McGarry (2)

Oadby Owls Hawks v Barrow Eagles – 13th November 2011 (Group game)

Sundays have been living up to their name lately and this was no exception; but it turned out to be the Hawks who couldn’t take the heat, as they were eclipsed by the Barrow Eagles. The opponents won the toss and elected to kick up the slope. At first it might have seemed like a tactical error, but it soon started to look ominously like a sign of confidence.

Having started the game with the ball the Eagles quickly demonstrated that they intended to keep it and it was all the Hawks midfield of Max Freer, Ralf McGarry and Henry Bower could do to get a touch on it, let alone feed Marko Sousa up front. So it was no surprise when the visitors swooped in to an early lead with a close range shot that gave Hawks keeper Ayreton Patel no chance.

Hawks heads dropped straight away and it was a situation from which they never really recovered. The Eagles predatory instinct was in full flow and soon they had taken a two goal lead. The one bright moment of the game came when Louis Bell turned in Ralf McGarry’s corner at the near post to reduce the deficit but the visitors took little time in scoring their third goal to cancel out the effort.

A rare Hawks attack saw Marko Sousa hit the inside of the Visitor’s left hand post but as the ball fell invitingly before an open goal it was only the Eagles defenders who reacted to it; and the contest was effectively over when the away team scored again right on the stroke of half time.

In the second half, and with the slope against them, it was all the Hawks could do to prevent a score line worthy of Welford Road, but battling performances from George MacDonald and Milan Tailor on the left side of midfield, and in particular Aaron Mason at right back, meant that the high flying Eagles were at limited to just 3 more successful strikes.

In the end it turned out to be a black cloud day for the Hawks.

Player of the Day: Aaron Mason

Goal Scorers: Louis Bell

Oadby Owls Hawks v Lutterworth Town 6th November 2011 (Group game)

The bonfire night smoke cleared to reveal yet another perfect Autumn morning at a crowded Coombe Park, which saw the U8 Hawks fixture being squeezed on to the postage stamp pitch in the corner near the path. With the bigger hitters being able to launch the ball from one end of the field to the other it promised to be a goalfest, but this wasn’t quite how it turned out.

The Hawks started positively enough, with the midfield trio of Ralf McGarry, Marko Susa and Louis Bell winning the lion’s share of possession, but no breakthrough was forthcoming. On a couple of occasions Lutterworth found themselves in useful positions, but a combination of Ayreton Patel in goal and George MacDonald and Henry Bower in defence saw off the danger.

As the 10 minute mark passed it became doubtful that the Hawks would ever convert their territorial advantage or their superior possession into goals, but with 14 minutes on the clock, Louis Bell ran on to a ball played down the right flank, looked up and found Milan Tailor with a pass inside that the striker converted at the near post.

The next few minutes again saw a struggle for power between the two sides, which finally fell in favour of the Hawks after 19 minutes, when Milan Tailor’s fierce drive was beaten away by the Lutterworth goalkeeper only to land at the feet of Max Freer who tucked it away from close range.

The first half had seen the Hawks kicking slightly down hill but the second half found them with the wind behind their backs and with a similar pattern of play being established. Aaron Mason was soon enjoying plenty of possession down the right flank and using it well to feed Max Freer up front, but it fell to the ever present Ralf McGarry to strike the third with a fierce shot from near the penalty spot.

On the left side of midfield, last week’s man of the match, Henry Bower, was having another great day out, terrorising the Lutterworth defence, and whenever the opposition did make any inroads in to the Hawks half they were met with stiff resistance by Louis Bell at left back and the ever versatile Milan Tailor at right back. Ayreton Patel was kept on his toes by the visitors but mainly in the context of gathering the ball rather than saving it.

With 5 minutes to go Max Freer thought he’d bagged a second goal when his shot from the edge of the area headed towards the top corner of the Lutterworth net, but a combination of the away keeper’s hand and his post saw the ball drop dead on the line before it was kicked away.

However, the reprieve was brief and with a minute to go, good work between Henry Bower and Marko Susa saw the ball drop to George MacDonald who struck it home at the near post from outside the penalty area. We hadn’t seen any fireworks but the side had responded to last week’s reversal with a bang!

Player of the Day: George MacDonald

Goal Scorers: Milan Tailor, Max Freer, Ralf McGarry and George MacDonald

Huncote Dynamoes v Oadby Owls Hawks – 30th October 2011 (Group game)

It was Halloween in Huncote for the Hawks in a tricky fixture that turned out to be a real treat. Right from the start it was clear that the opposition were out to give them a fright, with one challenge in particular requiring the referee to call for calm. But the Hawks defence looked spooked and after only two minutes a Dynamos midfielder ghosted in at the far post to meet a right wing cross with a fierce strike that gave the Hawks keeper Ayreton Patel no chance.

It was a nightmare start and it looked grave for the Hawks as their midfield trio of Louis Bell, Henry Bower and Aaron Mason were forced to defend for long spells. Behind them Max Freer and Milan Tailor were tackling like fiends whilst up front George MacDonald looked like a lost soul. However, after the first 10 minutes the Hawks had weathered the storm and the introduction of dead ball wizard Ralf McGarry saw a change of fortunes.

By this time Marco Sousa had also joined the party and with George MacDonald now terrifying the Dynamos defence it looked like their missed opportunities might come back to haunt them. The second half began as the first had ended with the Hawks enjoying a monster share of the ball. The whole team were playing as if possessed but Ayreton Patel was still called upon to bat away a couple of well struck shots and Milan Tailor was having a devil of a time containing a spritely Dynamos front line.

Max Freer was pushed forwards as the match progressed and Aaron Mason returned to the fray with his tackling boots on. With Ralf McGarry taking the corners and free kicks the Dynamos defence had developed a fear of crosses and it seemed inevitable that a Hawks goal would materialise. Time after time Henry Bower worked his magic down the left flank and down the right Louis Bell returned to force the Dynamos on to the back foot. Max Freer, Marco Sousa, Henry Bower and Ralf McGarry all came close to scoring but it wasn’t to be for the Hawks and the game ended without a goal on the board for them, despite a really spirited performance.

Player of the Day: Henry Bower

Goal Scorers: N/A

Westfield Wanderers v Oadby Owls Hawks – 2nd October 2011 (Group game)

With the beach beckoning on a beautiful October morning, it was a full turnout for the Hawks in south Leicestershire, with the exception of Billy Ridley who has broken a finger and will be out for a few weeks. Get better soon Billy!

It was quite a large pitch on such a hot day, with a gentle slope in one direction being cancelled out by a half-hearted breeze blowing in the other. Both sides were playing in black shorts and striped shirts, which offered the potential for confusion, but the Hawks got off to a flier, finding each other with ease in a move that was finished off emphatically by Ralf McGarry, with barely one minute on the clock. Soon the game was flowing, but mainly in one direction as centre forward Max Freer took advantage of strong midfield play by George MacDonald, Louis Bell and Ralf McGarry to bag a brace of goals by the time the game was just 10 minutes old.

The Hawks goalkeeper and captain for the day, Ayreton Patel, was glad he’d been involved in the toss because it didn’t look like he’d be involved again. The Wanderers showed some nice touches in midfield but never once looked like getting past Aaron Mason and Marco Sousa in the Hawks defence. Time and again Hawks players were coming out on top in the tackle and it was only thanks to some brave work by the Wanderers goalkeeper that the scoring was relatively limited. Nevertheless, Ralf McGarry made his mark with some fierce shooting to net 3 more times before the half was up.

The re-start saw a change in formation, with Marco Sousa and George MacDonald swapping positions, Milan Tailor taking over in centre midfield and Ayreton Patel getting a run out, whilst Louis Bell held the gloves for him. The other change involved Henry Bower taking over up front and it wasn’t long before he was celebrating his first league goal with a driven shot off his favoured left foot after a flowing move down the right flank. The Wanderers were looking more settled in the second half but two lapses in concentration resulted in the same punishment, as Milan Tailor twice showed the nerve to beat the Wanderers keeper when put through.

Perhaps the biggest cheer of the day came when Ayreton Patel struck an unstoppable shot in to the net from just inside the opposition area, a place he wouldn’t have expected to find himself when the game began. Marco Sousa and Aaron Mason were getting in to lots of good positions and were unlucky not to get on the score sheet. But the second half would belong to Henry Bower who seemed to take every chance that came his way. A strong run through the middle of the Wanderers defence saw him claim his second goal before an unselfish through ball from Milan Tailor handed him his hat-trick.

Louis Bell, having left the goalie gloves in the capable hands of George MacDonald, made a terrific run from left back before rolling the striker in for his fourth and a fifth followed moments later when Henry reacted first to a loose ball. All in all, it was a hoot in Hinckley for the Hawks.

Player of the Day: Milan Tailor

Goal Scorers: Henry Bower, Milan Tailor, Max Freer, Ralf McGarry and Ayreton Patel

Oadby Owls Hawks v Harborough Roosters – 11th September 2011 (Group game)

On a blustery day at Coombe Park, the newly formed Oadby Owls Under 8 Hawks made their league debut against Harborough Roosters, in what proved to be an exciting and closely fought match. The Hawks won the toss and chose to play down the slope in the first half. With the wind blowing across the pitch, this was the only potential advantage and in the early exchanges it looked as though it would prove valuable.

The midfield of Ralf McGarry, George MacDonald and Marco Susa were able to push forwards almost at will, creating a number of half chances for centre forward Milan Tailor, who was unlucky not to score; and whenever the ball did come back towards Aaron Mason and Henry Bower in defence they dealt with it confidently. However, after 6 minutes the Roosters put together a good move down the Hawks left flank and as the cross came in a moment of confusion saw the ball run free to an on-rushing Roosters midfielder who struck it first time in to the roof of the net, despite a desperate dive from Hawks goalkeeper Ayreton Patel.

The next few minutes saw the Harborough Roosters start to dominate possession, but they failed to carve out any clear cut chances, and it wasn’t long before the Hawks began to re-established themselves as an attacking force. The Roosters goalkeeper made a number of good saves at the feet of Milan Tailor before the Hawks striker finally got the better of him on 14 minutes, forcing home a chance from 3 yards out. The rest of the first half was played out in a stalemate despite some concerted pressure from the Hawks and a couple of dangerous break outs by the Roosters.

At half-time George MacDonald had to withdraw with a knee injury and was replaced by Max Freer in the centre of midfield. Louis Bell took over from Marco Susa in right midfield and Billy Ridley slotted in behind him at right back, in place of Aaron Mason. A tactical change saw Henry Bower pushed up in to left midfield with Ralf McGarry taking on the defensive duties at left back. The Harborough Roosters had brought plenty of support with them and within 5 minutes of the re-start they were cock-a-hoop. Using the slope to their advantage, the Roosters forced the Hawks back until finally the pressure told and a close range chance was dispatched to put the visitors 2-1 up.

Things were looking bad for the home team at this stage but their response was immediate. Good work between Henry Bower and Milan Tailor forced a corner, which Ralf McGarry curled to the far post, where it was met with a brilliant header by Max Freer, to level the score at 2-2. Now it was anybody’s game to win. Louis Bell and Max Freer won a lot of ball in midfield which they fed on to Henry Bower, who was unlucky not to score with a firmly struck left-footed drive, which passed just over the crossbar. At the back, Billy Ridley made a series of last ditch challenges which shut out the Roosters’ attack and when they did break through, Ayreton Patel made a brilliant save at his near post.

With 6 minutes to go Ralf McGarry took another corner, but this time he needed no-one else’s help to find the back of the net as he curled it under the crossbar. All of a sudden the Hawks were eyeing what had seemed like an improbable victory but with one minute left on the clock the Roosters won a thrown-in near to the Hawks penalty area. The throw was long and flicked on towards the far post where, after a scramble, it was tucked home by the Roosters’ centre forward to earn them a draw. The Hawks were frustrated not to have won the game but when the final whistle blew everyone was happy to shake hands on a good match that had ended with honours even.

Player of the Day: Billy Ridley

Goal Scorers: Milan Tailor, Max Freer and Ralf McGarry